Amelia Alder is a passionate performer, experienced and energetic music educator and vocal director. With a BMus (Hons) in Performance, a Grad.Dip.Ed (Music) and an Australian Kodaly Certificate in Music Education, Amelia has directed vocal groups at numerous schools, universities and organisations and currently teaches at Caulfield Grammar School and is a vocal tutor for the Young Voices of Melbourne, along with conducting YVMen choir for teenage boys with changed or changing voices.
Starting violin at three years of age with the Suzuki and Kodaly methods, Amelia has a strong association with many music associations throughout Australia. Along with her performances as a sessional musician (singer, violinist and conductor), Amelia has recorded and toured extensively as a singer and vocal tutor with the following internationally acclaimed vocal groups:
- Fixate, a cappella sextet. Alto, founding member, arranger and manager (’12-’13)
- All female a cappella quartet Vocal Folds 4. Alto, founding member, arranger and manager (’05-’10)
- Nationally auditioned contemporary a cappella ensemble The Australian Voices (’02-’08) directed by Stephen Leek
- Young Voices of Melbourne (’93-NOW)
With performances on film, TV and numerous live broadcasts for radio, Amelia has recorded over 30 CDs as a singer and violinist. For the past 15 years has also worked for Major Events Production Crews (Kerrie Hayes Productions) on over 40 shows presenting the On-Field Pre-Entertainment for major sporting events throughout Australia including the AFL Grand Final, the Grand Prix, and Stage manager for the Moomba Parade and the Commonwealth Games Arts Festival.
Amelia has completed the Soup2Nuts A Cappella Recording Course in USA with Grammy Award Winner Bill Hare and Deke Sharon, was Head Judge for the 2012 Singapore International A Cappella Competition, was both a Nominator and a Judge for the 2013-2015 CARAs (International Contemporary A Cappella Recording Awards), presented a session on Global A Cappella at SoJam (CASA Festival USA), is the Australian ambassador for CASA (Contemporary A Cappella Society of America) and is an Associate Producer for CASA’s SING Compilation Albums (2013-2014).
Some of her experiences in the industry include:
- Take 6 International A Cappella Contest – Grand Prize Winners ’10
- Multiple Gold Medals at the World Choir Games ’06
- Extensive touring throughout Australia, Asia, America, Europe, Guatemala and South Africa
- Festivals: Deutsche Sangerbund Chorfest, Taipei International Choral Festival, Prague International Music Festival, American Choral Directors Conference, Enclave International Festival, International Society of Music Educators, Festival of Voices, National Folk Festival, Port Fairy Folk Festival, ANCA Choralfest and the Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony.
SESSIONAL SINGER / MUSICIAN
- Mardi Lumsden and the Rising Seas: Tours: QLD, VIC, NSW – Violin / Vocals (’07-NOW)
- Ooolation – Singer and Assistant Voice Leader: Tours: TAS, VIC (’11-NOW)
- Hayley Clare – Backing Vocals (’09-NOW)
- Zerafina Zara – Backing Vocals / Violin (’10-NOW)
- Claire Patti – Backing Vocals / Fiddle (’11-’12)
- Harambee – Alto and Committee Member (’05)
- Violin (Pit Orchestras) Various shows (’97-NOW)
- Melbourne Theatre Company: ‘The Sisters Rosenweig’ – Vocals for ‘Cliff Clefs’ A Cappella Group for Production (’94)
- Gondwana National Indigenous Children’s Choir – Workshop Presenter (’11)
- Wesley College – Choir conductor and Violin Teacher (’01-’06)
- Monash University Choral Society – Guest Conductor (’02-’06)
- Australian Boys’ Choral Institute – Junior Singers Choir Conductor (’01-’02)
- Berwick Youth Choir – Piccolos Choir Conductor (’05)